The Tour Divide is a 2, 745 mile unsupported, off-road mountain bike race from Banff, Alberta, Canada to Antelope Wells, New Mexico, on the Mexican border, following the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route created by the Adventure Cycling Association. The route closely follows the spine of the Continental Divide from Canada to Mexico. It is mountainous and remote with over 200,000 vertical feet of climbing and 29 crossings of the divide. Weather is unpredictable - high passes are snow-covered; torrential rain showers are common; and heat persists in the badlands of the New Mexican plateau.



The route is unmarked and circuitous, traveling through Canadian provinces of Alberta and British Columbia, and the US states of Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado, and New Mexico (map). It travels through remote back country on dirt roads, jeep trails and forgotten mountain passes.



The Tour Divide tests ones endurance, navigational, mechanical and decision making skills; along with hydration, nutrition and shelter challenges. And of course the Grizzleys and Mountain Lions call this land their home!

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Shout out to some very special people


....................

When I wrapped my head around the thought of doing the Tour Divide, back in October or so, it seemed like I had lots of time.  Well, I did, but the time has now come.  We leave this morning for Canada.  Ali is taking a break from her studies to join us and Erin is driving from Seattle to meet us in Coeur d'Alene, where we will spend the night, and then Monday we head north to Banff.  I'm very happy my family is going to see me off.


We'll spend a few days together in Banff hanging out, hitting some pubs, relaxing, riding, final prep and going to the pre-race BBQ Thursday evening.  Beers and Food with other aspiring Tour Dividians!  I really can't wait!


The past week has been a whirlwind.  With kit prep, closing the loop on work, and trying to get some rides in it has been HECTIC!


The highlight of the week, however was getting together with family and friends at Harrison Hollow for pitchers of beer and some great food.  These people mean so much to me and their support and encouragement have truly given me strength and courage to give this race the best shot I can.  During the good times, and the dark times I know that their thoughts and prayers will be with me.  I love them all to death! 


85 year old Norb Sr. who inspires me every day; my sister Connie and my brother Doug who are always there for me.  Dear and devoted friends: Iron Couple John & Michelle and their super cool daughter Allie; Photographer Extraordinaire Darren; Fellow Fargo Fiend Chuck; Luvvly-jubbly Tri Couple Harold and Jules.  Thank you all so much!


And special thanks to my wife and soul mate, Eve.  Wouldn't even be close to getting this thing out of the blocks without your love and sacrifice.  I owe you big time!!  And my sweet daughters Erin and Ali, thank you for listening to countless, and I mean countless, discussions about all things tour divide.  Not to mention Ali helping with those custom cue sheets.  And Erin tracking down 'The Cordillera' at a Seattle book signing.  Many, many thanks girls!! 

And with that, I am signing off. Hope to throw in some updates from the road, but I really don't know how that will play out. The adventure begins.....

See you in early July when we can share a beer.




~~~ Best to all ~~~






1 comment:

Darren Russinger said...

Beautiful post my friend. Ride well, be safe and see you in July!!