The Tour Divide is a 2, 745 mile unsupported, off-road mountain bike race from Banff, Alberta, Canada to Antelope Wells, New Mexico, on the Mexican border, following the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route created by the Adventure Cycling Association. The route closely follows the spine of the Continental Divide from Canada to Mexico. It is mountainous and remote with over 200,000 vertical feet of climbing and 29 crossings of the divide. Weather is unpredictable - high passes are snow-covered; torrential rain showers are common; and heat persists in the badlands of the New Mexican plateau.



The route is unmarked and circuitous, traveling through Canadian provinces of Alberta and British Columbia, and the US states of Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado, and New Mexico (map). It travels through remote back country on dirt roads, jeep trails and forgotten mountain passes.



The Tour Divide tests ones endurance, navigational, mechanical and decision making skills; along with hydration, nutrition and shelter challenges. And of course the Grizzleys and Mountain Lions call this land their home!

Thursday, June 2, 2011

One Week Out.....

Here I am one week out from the Grand Depart.  Life is certainly hectic with final prep for the tour and getting business concerns and personal stuff in order to be gone for 5 weeks.  Feels overwhelming but we are leaving this Sunday so I know things will be done.  We have our deadline and it will be met.  Really no choice in the matter.

I am extraordinarily fortunate to have my wonderful wife and soul mate in my corner on this journey.  From the time when this adventure was just an outlying dream; and as it grew into a consuming obsession she was there to encourage and challenge me every step of the way.  It has not been without sacrifice!  Truly without her continual and unconditional support this TD endeavor would not be happening. She will be with me in my heart every pedal stroke and post hole of the way and be my rock and strength in the good times, the times of difficulty, and the space in between.  I am grateful!




If I stray too far from you, don't go and try to find me.
It doesn't mean I don't love you, it doesn't mean I won't come back
and stay beside you.
It only means I need a little time
to follow that unbroken line.
To a place where the wild things grow.
To a place where I used to always go.
                                                                                                ~Lucinda Williams

1 comment:

John R. Kormanik said...

You, my brother, are indeed very lucky to have Eve by your side and in your heart. During the dark-times, think of her smile...